Lytham's best known landmarks, the Windmill and the Old
Lifeboat House contain a seasonal museum with a series of
exhibits focussed on the "History of Mills and Milling", the
"Great Lifeboat Disaster" and the "Heritage of Lytham St Annes and the Fylde Area".
The Museum, which annually
attracts over 30,000 visitors from all parts of the world, was established in 1989 by
Group. It is run voluntarily
by The Group's members and houses exhibitions and displays spread over 5
floors, including a full size pulling and sailing lifeboat from
1901, explanations of the milling processes and a history of the Grade II listed
buildings. The basement shows a tableau of life in
Fylde Borough Council also
have a Tourist Information Point within the Windmill during the season. www.visitlythamstannes.co.uk.
The Windmill is situated on Lytham Green and is open to the
public during the season and entry is free of charge.
Donation boxes are available for anyone wishing to make a
donation to help continued funding of the museum.
The Museum is a registered with the Museum, Libraries and
Archive Council. Registration Number RD861