Learn About Lytham
Lytham town lies in the south west of the Fylde area of Lancashire on the estuary of the River
Ribble. The history of Lytham goes back for 1000 years with evidence in the Domesday Book (1086). Originally a
rural community, relatively poor and backward for centuries, the Fylde was a 'wetland' which people were glad to
Until the Dissolution of the
Monasteries that began in the 1530s Lytham had an established Priory, now the site of Lytham Hall, linked to the
Monastery of Durham. At the Dissolution this became the Manor of Lytham.
The Manor of
Lytham passed through several hands until in 1606 the Clifton family came to Lytham. After 300 years as our most
important family, they have left an indelible print on Lytham with their buildings, streets and gifts to the
town. The last 100 years of their time at Lytham Hall coincided with the advent of the Victorian age which
was a time of great prosperity for Lytham.
By the end of
the 18th century the idea of a 'seaside watering place' had encouraged the building of hotels, houses and
shops. By the mid-1800s the Victorians were constructing not only a seaside town for visitors but also,
encouraged by improved communications including a new railway, a wealthy dormitory town for Lancashire
industrialists. Parks, baths, libraries, theatres, hospitals, a pier, and a port followed. The Cliftons donated
much of the land and many of the buildings. Local 'industries' included fishing and
Much of this
legacy remains today and should be preserved.
"Lytham - Our Town"
The Lytham Heritage Group has
published a booklet entitled "Lytham - Our Town" charting the evolution of Lytham from the small rural community
of 1086 into the thriving town you see today. Copies are available from Lytham Heritage
Please click on the links below to read about a few of Lytham's famous landmarks: